Saturday, December 4, 2010

First Snow

We didn't even know it was supposed to snow today! My husband was getting ready to go pick up trash for an adopt-a-highway project with a local group and a friend informs us it's already started snowing at her place. Sure enough the adopt-a-highway cleanup had to be rescheduled and we soon saw flurries and then large fat snowflakes falling at our place. I couldn't resist going out and taking some shots in the brand new first-time snow! I don't think I've done high contrast shots before but I really like these.

I wanted to talk a bit about the  third photo down. As a body acceptance advocate the first things I had to get used to were things that showed a lot like my arms, my face and my legs. Until recently I've worn nothing but long pants and long skirts since 8th grade. I walked into class on my first day wearing shorts- a girl at the desk behind me looked at my fat legs and shook her head and said "nuh uh!" while making a disgusted face. I never wore anything other than pants after that. Since breaking out of that shell and buying my first short skirt I've gotten more comfortable with my legs but one thing I haven't gotten comfortable with? My belly.

I immediately started getting to the point where I let my husband touch my stomach (which has always been off limits) but as far as showing off in photos? I just couldn't do it. Undressing in front of other people- fine! As long as I didn't see it I was good. Well that's not really acceptance is it? So today, without even really thinking about it, I decided to pose in a way that made my shirt come up on my side. It seems like one more good step in self acceptance.

Happy first snow everyone!






 


3 comments:

Dreaming of Wheels

I finally dreamed of myself in a wheelchair . How we view ourselves is often hard. What we think of ourselves, even how we picture ourse...